23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Founded in 2006 by Linda Avey, Paul Cusenza, and Anne Wojcicki, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has more than two million customers worldwide, with over 80 percent consented to participate in research.
The Meaning Behind the Name
The name 23andMe refers to the fact that human DNA is organized into 23 pairs of chromosomes. 23andMe connects individuals to their unique, paired set of 23 chromosomes.
- 23andMe has more than 1,000,000 genotyped customers.
- More than 80 percent of our customers have opted-in to participate in our research.
- To date, the company has collected 320 million phenotypic data points (individual survey responses).
- On an average week the company collects more than two million individual survey responses from our active online research community.
- On average, one individual contributes to 230 different research studies.
- To date, 23andMe has published more than 45 peer-reviewed studies in scientific journals.
23andMe is headquartered in Mountain View, California.