What is 23andMe
23andMe, Inc. is a privately-held company dedicated to helping individuals understand their own genetic information using recent advances in DNA analysis technologies and web-based interactive tools. 23andMe enables individuals to gain deeper insights into personal ancestry, genealogy and inherited traits. 23andMe was founded in April 2006 by Linda Avey, Paul Cusenza, and Anne Wojcicki.
The Meaning Behind the Name
The name 23andMe refers to the fact that human DNA is organized into 23 pairs of chromosomes. 23andMe connects individuals to their unique, paired set of 23 chromosomes.
- 23andMe has more than 700,000 genotyped customers.
- About 80% of our customers have opted-in to participate in our research AND actively answer survey questions.
- To date, the company has collected more than 180 million phenotypic data points (individual survey responses).
- On an average week the company collects approximately two million new survey responses from our active online research community.
- On average, one individual contributes to 230 different research studies.
- 23andMe has published 16 peer-reviewed published studies in the last three years.
Location, Location, Location
23andMe is headquartered in the heart of silicon valley in Mountain View, California.