Founded by Anne Wojcicki, Linda Avey, Paul Cusenza in 2006, 23andMe launched its Personal Genome Service® a year later. 23andMe’s mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome.
Based in Mountain View, California, the company currently employs well over 300 people and ships its product to more than 50 countries worldwide.
The Meaning Behind the Name
The name 23andMe refers to the fact that human DNA is organized into 23 pairs of chromosomes. 23andMe connects individuals to their unique, paired set of 23 chromosomes.
- 23andMe has more than 2,000,000 genotyped customers.
- More than 85 percent of our customers have opted-in to participate in our research.
- To date, the company has collected 600 million phenotypic data points (individual survey responses).
- On an average week the company collects more than two million individual survey responses from our active online research community.
- On average, one individual contributes to 200 different research studies.
- To date, 23andMe has published more than 75 peer-reviewed studies in scientific journals.