23andMe Announces Holiday Season Multi-Pack Discount
December 8, 2008
Savings of $200 on 3-Kit Packs; Opportunity for Families to Start Exploring Their Shared Genetics
Mountain View, Calif. – December 8, 2008 – 23andMe, Inc., the industry leader in personal genetics, today announced it is offering a Multiple Kit discount through December 31st. Customers who purchase three or more kits in a single order will save $200 on the first three kits and $70 for every additional kit. By offering this discount, 23andMe hopes to encourage families to explore the unique features of the 23andMe Personal Genome Service™ that are of special interest to people who are related. These features allow family members to learn how genetically similar they are and how genes were passed down from grandparents to grandchildren. Some of the special features that are of particular interest to relatives include:
23andMe, Inc., headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA clearances for genetic health reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80% of its customers electing to participate. The 23andMe research platform has generated more than 180 publications on the genetic underpinnings of a wide range of diseases. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
- Genome View– a visual comparison of two individuals’ chromosomes. Siblings can see where they’re 100% or 50% similar. Relatives can see what genes and traits they share, and where they differ.
- GrandTree– a feature that allows customers to trace the inheritance of genes from grandparent to grandchild. Families can trace overall genetic similarity or genes associated with a list of specific traits or a gene or group of genes the customer enters himself or herself.
- Global Similarity– a mapping feature that shows customers how genetically similar they are to populations around the world. Over a thousand reference populations provide ancestral perspective and a plot to compare how family members cluster together.
“Family members who enroll in our Personal Genome Service get a richer experience,” said Linda Avey, co-founder of 23andMe. “We’ve designed tools that enable fascinating comparisons for our customers who join 23andMe along with their relatives.”
The 23andMe™ service also enables its customers to:
- Discover how their genes associate with over 95 diseases and traits.
- Actively participate in an innovative research approach by answering 23andWe surveys.
- Join discussion groups around areas of interest, including health and ancestry.
Joining the 23andMe Community
To learn more and embark on your own personal genetics journey, please visit:
www.23andme.com. 23andMe is now available to consumers in the following locations: Albania, American Samoa, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Guam, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Northern Mariana Islands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States, Vatican City and Virgin Islands, U.S..